Building a New Search Using Previous Searches
Using Advanced Search, you can build a search expression that contains one or more result sets from your Previous Searches list. Here's how:
- If you're not already at the Advanced Search page, click the Advanced Search link on the search path bar (found in the banner area at the top of the page).
- Select Previous Searches from the index drop-down menu.
- Enter the search result number (for example, R1) or click the Browse Previous Searches link that appears if you would like to select one or more previous searches from a list (explained below).
- Select AND, OR, or NOT from the logical operator drop-down menu.
- Select another option from the index drop-down menu as needed to build your search query.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5, as needed. You may search additional indexes by clicking the Add a row link.
Here are some examples:
- R3 or R2
- Combines the results from the two results sets.
- R1 and R4
- Applies the search criteria from both results sets. For example, R1 may have been a search for documents on the subject "attention deficit disorder". And R4 may have searched for all articles where the type of source is "newspapers". Merging the two result sets searches for all newspaper articles on attention deficit disorder.
- R3 and ke digital
- Searches for documents from result set 3 that contain the keyword "digital"
- R4 not R5
- Searches for documents in result set 4 that are not also in result set 5
How to Browse Previous Searches
When you click the Browse Previous Searches link that appears to the right of the index entry box, the Browse Previous Searches window appears. Your prior searches are displayed in reverse chronological order (most recent first). Click to place a checkmark next to one or more prior search query. Selected queries appear in the "My Previous Searches" box. To return to the Advanced Search screen with your selections, click the Submit button (multiple selections will be linked together by the OR logical operator; you will be able to edit the query). Use the Clear button to remove any checkmarks. To cancel the browse and make no selections, simply close the window.